DANIEL HAND HIGH SCHOOL
286 Green Hill Road
Madison, CT 06443
|Daniel Hand High School
|Daily Time Schedule
||Warning Bell at 7:20
||The first 3 minutes of the period are reserved for announcements
||3B lunch 10:11-10:42 (31)
||4A lunch 10:46-11:17 (31) 4B lunch 11:17-11:48 (31)
||5A lunch 11:52-12:23 (31) 5B lunch 12:23-12:54 (31)
|Holiday & Inclement Weather - Early Dismissals - 11:30 a.m.
|Delayed Opening - 9:25 a.m.
Important CAPT Information
Sophomores will be taking the Connecticut Academic Performance Test (CAPT) in science on the last day of Trimester 2. At this time, the date is March 17. Any school cancellations will result in revisions to the calendar and will be updated on the school’s website. Schools are required to give the CAPT in science. Please encourage your child to get a good night’s sleep and to eat a healthy breakfast before taking this test. Below you will find links to brochures that explain more about the tests. These links can also be found on the D.H.H.S. website.
CAPT Student and Parent Brochures
Survey on Women's Self Defense Curriculum
“To all Madison residents: A pair of senior students here at Hand have been working on a civic action plan in their senior Civics class that aims to study the Women’s Self Defense curriculum at the high school and possibly make changes to the course. They’d appreciate it if you could take just two minutes of your time to complete this survey. This survey is open to everyone, no matter your gender or if you took the course of not. They are looking for input from any member of the Madison community for comments and concerns on the matter. All feedback is appreciated. Thank you!”
Here is the link to our survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/DHHS-SD
2015-2016 Program of Studies
DHHS Newsletter - Winter 2015
DHHS Newsletter - Fall 2014
DHHS Newsletter - August 2014
Our primary purpose is to graduate successful life-long learners who are responsible citizens in the global community. Daniel Hand High School students, in collaboration with educators, parents, and the Madison community, will develop as motivated, self-reliant, creative, and ethical individuals who respect differences in others.
Core Values and Beliefs Statement:
The Daniel Hand High School community believes that the mission of our school is to support all students by providing them with challenging educational opportunities which will prepare them to be globally aware citizens of the 21st century. To succeed in this mission, we recognize that our students must demonstrate competence in oral and written communication; understand effective and responsible use of technology; and develop critical thinking, problem solving, and creativity. In addition, it is critical that our students respect and contribute to the diverse, multicultural community and international community in which they live.
We are committed to the following:
- All students meet or exceed high performance standards in rigorous core and related arts programs.
- All students will have access to appropriate programs and services.
- All students will be provided opportunities to learn in a safe and secure school facility.
- All students will respond to success and failure with reflection and resiliency.
- School facilities and instructional resources will support 21st century learning and enhance educational experiences for all students.
- All students will be supported in learning environments that foster a climate of respect for all.
- Staff and administration will create and encourage student participation in activities that foster students' wellness and physical health.
- All students will benefit from support services delivered in a student-centered school that addresses social-emotional development and well-being.
- All students and staff will benefit from collaboration and partnership with civic, business, higher education, and other community groups and resources.
Learning Expectations and Rubrics